cakes in jars
Cakes in jars… we just had to have the idea 😉 It’s original so we did this rapidly ! The last question we don’t have the answer is : how many time can we keep the cakes inside of the jars ? Some comments says « many months »… We are going to tell you in some months 😉
The recipe and the baking are easy. The only need for this recipe : to own jam’s jars (like « Bonne Maman », a french jam’s brand) or sterilization jars (you know, jars with an orange joint) !
The advantage is that you can make different kind of cakes. You can also bake an assortment of different cakes. This time for us it was a chocolate-vanilla marble cake. We find this canning of pâtisserie useful for when we go to our second home for exemple 🙂
It wasn’t a really big surprise for us to become demands for this cakes in jars’ recipe. We already wrote the recipe in french. But the surprise was that lovageandhop asked us for the recipe in English in the Instagram of Mémé Moniq. So we write the recipe also in English to simplify her the job.
Here is finally our recipe of cakes in jars.
Ingrédients for jars of cakes
- 350 g — 12,3 oz flour
- 50 g — 1,8 oz cocoa powder (dark, without sugar, like Van Houten)
- 1 bag baking powder (in France they contain 11g — 0,4 oz of baking powder)
- 12 cl — 4 fl oz milk
- 18 to 20 cl — 6 to 6,8 fl oz peanut oil
- 300 g — 10,6 oz sugar
- 1 bag vanille sugar (or homemade vanilla sugar, about 2 teaspoon)
- 5 eggs
Préparation of the cakes in jars
- Put boiling water into the jars, remove it and dry them
- Preheat the oven at 180° C — 350°F — Th. 6
- Mix together the eggs and the sugar (but not the vanilla sugar !) into a bowl and turn it white
- While mixing add the peanut oil and the milk, then the flour and the baking powder
- Mix well to get a smooth dough
- Separate equally the dough in 2 and put it in 2 different bowls
- In one of them add the cocoa powder, in the other the vanilla sugar
- Butter the jars (you can use a good amount of butter) and if you use to, flour them
- Divide the pastry in the jars. One jar at a time put a teaspoon of the vanilla’s dough, then one of the chocolated one and so on until you fill the jar half (not more or you will not be able to close the jar because the dough will grow up)
- Put the jars in the oven for 45 minutes (without the lid)
- When you put the jars out of the oven close them with their lids. Be careful not to burn you. The easiest way is to hold the jar in one hand with a potholder and to put the lid with the other hand. If the cake grew up a little bit too much (some millimeters), push with the lid 😉
- If you want to eat some cake’s jar immediately you don’t need to close them 🙂
- To unmold a cake : after you open the jar, pass a knife’s blade between the cake and the glass’ side and do it around the jar.